Typically used on fire rated doors where the hold-open or swing-free feature is required either in high traffic areas for convenience or in situations where it would be difficult to satisfy the maximum opening force requirements of Part M of The Building Regulations.
The Briton 996 Series is a range of closers with an integrated electro-magnetic hold open mechanism. Each unit can be set to either ‘hold-open’ or ‘swingfree’ operation. In either case the spring closing function of the closer can be temporarily disabled to allow free passage. When de-activated via a connection to the building fire alarm or smoke detection system, the electromagnet disengages and the door closer closes the door in the normal manner to maintain fire safety.
Electromagnet is controlled by the building fire alarm/detector system and activates the ‘catch plate’ to ensure the door closes automatically in the event of a fire. Optional rear cable entry allows units to be installed with concealed cable using a separate concealed door loop to protect the closer against vandalism. Supplied with armoured power loop to run power safely from the door frame to the closer unit. Adjustable closing speed and latch action provides total control of the full closing cycle.
Features & Benefits
- Selectable for Hold-open or Swing-free operation
- Pressure die cast aluminium body giving rugged durability.
- Steel rack and pinion mechanism is heat treated for strength and durability.
- Coil springs manufactured in silicon chrome alloy steel for superior strength and reliability.
- Unit is supplied with armset and bracket for regular or transom mounting and is self handed to reduce the number of stockholding units required.
- Fabricated steel cover available in a range of architectural finishes which suite with the Briton 2000 and 2130 closers with Classic covers to complement a variety of door hardware ranges.
- ‘Catch plate’ can be set to operate in hold-open or swing-free operation during installation to suit individual doorset requirements within a building.